As you know that Spotting Error types question is an important part of competitive examinations and seldom any book provide you the detailed solution. So we have decided to provide you the previous year questions of spotting error along with the solutions. If you like it let us know, you can also ask for detailed solutions of questions that are bothering you.
1. He reassured to his boss (a) that he had no plans (b)/ to leave the company. (c) / No error (d)
2. The company reports (a) / that the demand for their computers (b)/ are growing everyday. (c) / No error (d)
3. When I say the dress, (a) / I knew it was exactly (b) / what I had looked for. (c) / No error (d)
4. I promise (a) / I call you (b) / as soon as I got home. (c) / No error (d)
5. I am afraid (a)/ I did a mistake (b) / in the calculation. (c) / No error (d)
6. The number of application has risen (a) this year by (b) / as many as 50%. (c) / No error (d)
7. I was driving under the bridge, (a) / as a football (b) / hit my window. (c) / No error (d)
8. If I would know (a) / what you wanted (b) / I would help you. (c) / No error (d)
9. No source of energy is so cheap (a) / as solar energy (b) / in the present age of energy crisis. (c) / No error
10. Last year (a) / she was married with (b) / a businessman in Australia. (c) / No error (d)
Answers with Detailed Explanations:
1. (a) reassured के बाद to का प्रयोग नहीं होगा
Rule: don't use "to" in indirect speech after reporting verb.
2. (b) : replace "their" with "it"
(i) वाक्याश (b) में प्रयुक्त pronoun - their = plural का प्रयोग वाक्याश (a) में प्रयुक्त noun = company = singular = neuter in gender के लिए किया गया है जो गलत है
Rule: यदि noun - singular in number and neuter in gender हो तो एसे noun के बदले आने वाला Pronoun - its होता है
3. (c) had looked के place पर was looking का प्रयोग होगा
(i) Key word - When
Rule: When से जुड़े दो वाक्य का structure निम्न होता है.
When + simple past + past continuous
4. Call के पहले WOULD का प्रयोग होगा
(i) Key word = as soon as = conditional expression
(ii) as soon as से जुड़े हुए वाक्य I got home = conditional sentence = simple past.
Rule : conditional sentence यदि simple past हो तो sentence of consequence - past simple future = subject + would + verb + object . के रूप में होता है
5. (c) 'the' का प्रयोग नहीं होगा
(i) calculation का प्रयोग = purely as a common noun किया गया है
Rule: common noun का प्रयोग if common noun के तरह किया जाये तोह इसके पहले definite article - the लगेगा
6. (b) replaced "many" with " Much"
Rule : Much used between as ____ as.
7. (c) Replace "as" with "when"
Rule: दो वाक्य जहा एक past continuous और दूसरा SIMPLE PAST हो साथ हे दोनों वाक्य से होने वाले ACTION = एक साथ हो तो ऐसे दोनों वाक्य को when से जोड़ देते है
8. (a) replace "would know with "knew".
9. (a) use "other" after no
Rule : If positive degree हो जहा positive degree adjective - so और as के बीच में हो साथ ही sentence की starting "No" से हो तो no के बाद other का प्रयोग किया जाता है
10. (b) "married के बाद "to" का प्रयोग होगा