CHERAS + CHOLAS + PANDYAS = SANGAM AGE
Cap - Kanchi
Founder - Simhavishnu (Avnismha)
Last - Aprajitha def by Aditya-I (chola)
- Hieun Tsang visited Kanchipuram
i. Mahendravarman-I (Sankirtanjali)
- Jainism follower & lost to Pulakeshin-II
- Titles 'Chitrakarpuli' & 'Vichitra Chitta' - due to excellence in building, painting & music
- Introduced Rock Cut Temple. Temples at 'Bhairavkona' & 'Ananteshwar'
- Titles 'Vatapi Kondan' & 'Mamalla' - a great wrestler
- Constructed Raths at Mamallapuram & Mandapa
iii. Narsimhavarman-II (Rajsimha)
- Build 'Kailashnath Temple' at Kanchi, 'Shore Temple' at Mamallapuram & 'Talagirisvara Temple' at Panamalai
- "Dandialankaram" (Skt Gramm) - Dandin (Court Scholar)
- 'Vaikunta Perumal Temple'(Vishnu) at Kanchi - Nandivarman-II
- 'Dravidian' style temple
Cap - Tanjore
Emblem - Tiger
Founder - Vijayalaya
Last - Rajendra-III
- Conquered Ceylon & Maldives & defeated chera, pandyas, chalukyas
- Titles 'Mummudi Chola', 'Jayam kondan', 'Shivpadasekara'
- Temples- Shiv Temple at Anuradhapuram, Brahdeshwar Temple at Tanjore, Alravatesvara Temple at Darasuram.
- Conquered whole Ceylon & def bengal ruler Mahipala & founded city 'Gangaikonda Cholapuram'
- Conquered Nicobar Islands
- Titles- 'Gangaikondan', 'Panditha Cholan', 'Kadram Kondan'
- Chief feature of temple is Vimana
- Bronze Natraj Idol at Nageswara also bronze idol of Arthanareeswar
-'Gopuram' & 'Garbhagriha' were two important structures
Cap - Madurai
Emblem - Fish
Founder - Kadungon
- Famous for Pearl Diving
- Trade with Roman, Augustus & Trojan
- Famous temple architectures - Gpuram, Prakaras, Vimanas, Garbgrahas & Gateways
- Temple - Sithannavasal Cave Temple
- Paintings - Lotus, Bathing Elephant, Playing Fish